As many of you likely know, there is a current opening for District 1 on the Albuquerque Public Schools Board. District 1 covers much of the South Valley/Downtown area (pdf map here) and includes 16 elementary schools, three middle schools, and three high schools. This is a critical opening on a board that oversees one of the largest school districts in the U.S., with more than 85,000 students and a budget over $1.3 billion.
We need strong candidates in the mix! Please think about and encourage anyone (even if it's yourself) in District 1 with a vested interest in Albuquerque education and who possesses an unwavering commitment to the success of our city and students. It is vital we have policy makers who are focused on the future well-being of our beloved city, have a new vision of what's possible in education, and who center their work on the best interests of students above all else.
The stark reality is that only 34% of APS students are reading at grade level, with only 20% performing at grade level in math. More alarmingly, Hispanic students like myself trail the district average by 6%. APS's economically disadvantaged students (also like myself growing up) fare even worse: lagging by 8% in reading (26% proficient) and 9% in math (11% proficient). The need for a board member committed to preparing every student, regardless of zip code, to reach their full potential is paramount, urgent, and personal.
APS recently issued a brand new Academic Master Plan. This plan has good bones but needs a strong board to ensure the district's mission that "All Albuquerque Public Schools Students Will Attend High-Quality Schools Responsive to Their Communities" is delivered upon. Please consider this opportunity to serve Albuquerque's students, parents, and families. Our kids need you/us!
The qualification requirements are that the person appointed must be:
- at least 18 years of age
- a registered voter in New Mexico
- a resident of the Board of Education District 1
- not a convicted felon
- not an employee of Albuquerque Public Schools
Anyone interested in applying for the board seat and meets the qualifications listed above must submit the following information to the Board of Education Services Office no later than Thursday, November 2, 2017, 5 p.m. (Please note that this is the deadline for receipt of the materials):
- letter of intent
- completed application questionnaire
- resume that includes references with contact information
Some important dates for which applicants must be available are (full timeline here):
- October 24, 2017 – Informational meeting for interested applicants at Atrisco Heritage Academy High School, Library at 6:00 p.m.
- November 2, 2017, 5:00 p.m. – Applicant letters of intent, questionnaires and resumes that include references and contact information must be received in the Board of Education Services Office
- November 9, 2017 – Facilitated community forum at Rio Grande High School, Performing Arts Center (Time in the evening to be confirmed). The format of the meeting depends on the number of applicants and will be predetermined and communicated to candidates in the confirmation letter to each applicant
- November 13, 2017 – Applicant interviews with the APS Board of Education in the morning and early afternoon in the John Milne Board Room at the Alice and Bruce King Educational Complex, 6400 Uptown Blvd NE. (Time will be confirmed after number of applicants is known)
- November 15, 2017, 5 p.m. – Swearing in ceremony at the Regular Board of Education meeting
Lastly, please direct questions and documents to:
Board of Education Services Office, 100E
Albuquerque Public Schools
Alice and Bruce King Educational Complex
2017 Board of Education Applications
P.O. Box 25704
Albuquerque, New Mexico 87125-0704
Phone: (505) 880-3731 or (505) 880-3729
Fax: (505) 880-2572 (Please confirm fax receipt at (505) 880-3737)
Physical address for hand-delivered documents: 6400 Uptown Blvd. NE, Suite 100E, Albuquerque, NM87110